Friday, February 16, 2007

Do you see monkeys in Jakarta?

It was during my Arabic lesson in Amman Jordan, when the teacher asked each student to talk about his/her last vacation. I told the class that I went to Bali. My teacher asked "where is Bali?" Then I said "it is an island in Indonesia"

Apparently, many people in Jordan know nothing about Indonesia. Even if they heard about it, most of them think that Indonesia is a big jungle full of monkeys, lions, elephants etcetera. Yes, some parts of Indonesia are dense rain forests full of exotic animals. But in Indonesia you will also find big cosmopolitan cities with modern infrastructures. In these big cities, you still find exotic animals (in the zoo) and sometimes some monkeys too ,hanging from the public transportation.
(Just kidding).

When I showed some people in Jordan the pictures of Jakarta, they said "are these really in Indonesia?"
I chuckled, when I heard this question. I have seen skyscrapers in Jakarta since I was a kid (that would be in the 60s).
Oh well again, I do not blame them, if they have no idea about Indonesia at all. Even if they heard about it that would be either from the National Geographic program which shows about the exotic animals or jungle in the island of Irian Jaya or perhaps the news on Television which talks about the riot or demonstration on the street of Jakarta.
I guess we do not really know the country, unless we actually go there and see it for ourselves.

No comments: